News

Unattended Candle Started Streetsboro House Fire

An unattended candle was found to be the cause of a Streetsboro house fire on Saturday morning. Two children and four adults and were at the home when the fire started an made their way out safely.
Candles are the 5th leading causes of house fires and account for 3% of all home fire deaths.

STREETSBORO, Ohio — The Streetsboro Fire department fought flames of a Streetsboro house fire on Saturday morning that started with an unattended candle that was left burning.

Firefighters say they received a 911 call at about 6:15 a.m. from a resident in the 600 block of Stewart Avenue saying that their house was on fire.

When they arrived, firefighters said they found extreme fire coming from the front of the house, which took about an hour to control.

Two children and four adults and were at the home when the fire started an made their way out safely. Two of the adults had negligible injuries and after assessment by EMS, they refused additional treatment.

Officials said that the home had working smoke detectors and determined that the fire was started by a candle left burning in a bedroom and caused about $100k in damage. Candles are the 5th leading causes of house fires and account for 3% of all home fire deaths.

Streetsboro Fire department was assisted by crews from surrounding departments, including Aurora, Kent, Twinsburg, Mantua-Shalersville and Reminderville.

Candle Burning Tips

  • Never leave a burning candle unattended.
  • Keep burning candles away from pets and children.
  • Keep burning candles away from flammable materials.
  • Remove paper label from candle before lighting.
  • Burn candles only in a draft-free environment away from open windows, fans, air ducts, etc. This will help to prevent any smoking or dripping.
  • Light the candle wick from the base of the wick, where the wick comes out of the candle. This allows the beeswax to be absorbed into the wick.
  • Keep the wick trimmed to about 1/4″ when burning.

The word candle comes from Middle English candel, from Old English and from Anglo-Norman candele, both from Latin candēla, from candēre ‘to shine’.

Prior to the candle, people used oil lamps where a burning wick was set in a container of liquid oil. The Romans started producing true dipped candles from tallow, beginning around 500 BC and candles made in European primeval times were made from numerous forms of natural fat, tallow, and wax. In ancient Rome, candles were made of tallow due to the prohibitive cost of beeswax and today, beeswax candles can cost up to 10 times as much as soy or paraffin candles.

The highly toxic fumes and soot released by burning paraffin wax are the same as those found in burning diesel fuel.

Poisonous chemicals present in paraffin (and released into the air through burning) include, but are not limited to known carcinogens such as: Acetone, Benzene, Toluene, Trichlorofluoromethane, Carbon Disulfide, 2-Butanone, Trichloroethane, Carbon Tetrachloride, Tetrachloroethene, Chlorobenzene, Ethylbenzene, Styrene, Xylene, Phenol, Cresol and Cyclopentene.

beeswax candles are made of beeswax which is an all-natural, organic raw product of the hive made by honey bees. 100% pure beeswax burn clean and have their own natural honey-floral fragrance even when not burning. Unlike paraffin candles, they do not contain any additives, synthetic chemicals or leave behind black soot from smoke when they are burned. 

The highest quality beeswax candles are hand poured or dipped and made with 100% cotton wicks and 100% all natural, unbleached yellow beeswax, produced by bees in the USA.

Back to top button