A lot of people complain about back pain on a day-to-day basis. It is one of the most common problems people have. Many things could cause it. But what if you have tried everything for your back pain, and it isn’t going away.
It would help if you visited an excellent doctor to seek further treatment in such a case.
In this article, visit Dr. Gurneet Singh Sawhney, one of the best spine surgeons in Mumbai, who talks about Spinal Fusion.
What is Spinal Fusion?
Spinal fusion is a surgical process where 2 or more vertebrae are joined permanently into one solid bone without any space. This is done to eliminate any motion between the vertebrae.
Vertebrae are small and interlocking bones of your spine.
An extra bone is used to fill the space between two separate vertebrae. There is no space remaining between the vertebrae after the bone heals.
If you are looking for one of the best spine surgeons in India, you should visit Dr. Gurneet Singh Sawhney. He has over 14 years of experience in treating spinal diseases.
Why is it needed?
Spinal fusion is done when your doctor knows the source of your pain, says Dr. Sawhney. Many things can cause back pain. It is needed to get proper tests done to see if you have spinal fusion surgery or not.
Spinal fusion is needed because of:
- Degenerative disk disease
- Fractured vertebrae
- Spinal stenosis (a narrowing of the gaps within your spine, putting pressure on the nerves that go through it)
According to visit Dr. Gurneet Singh Sawhney, one of the best spine surgeons in India, following the preparations needed to be done before the surgery:
The preparation of spinal fusion is similar to any other surgical procedure. Your doctor will do some tests to prepare for the surgery.
It would be best if you inform your doctor about:
- Your smoking
- Alcohol consumption
- Any prior illnesses
- Any medications you are taking
- Your surgery will be performed under anesthesia. The whole surgery will take a few hours to complete.
- The bone graft that will be utilized to join the two vertebrae will be prepared by your surgeon. If your bone is used, the surgeon will make a tiny cut over the pelvic bone and take a little part of it.
- The bone transplant might be synthetic or can come through a bone donor.
- The surgeon will cut the place of the bone where it needs to be fused.
- Your surgeon will create a tiny incision in the horizontal fold of your front neck, exposing your cervical spine.
- To unite the afflicted vertebrae, the surgeon will insert the graft between them.
- After the bone transplant has been placed, your surgeon may use rods, plates, and screws to stabilize the spine. This is known as internal fixation.
- The increased support of the rods, plates, and screws allows the spine to mend more quickly and successfully.
Dr. Gurneet Singh Sawhney, one of the best spine surgeons in Thane, provides the treatment for spinal fusion.
According to one of the best spine surgeons in Thane, Dr. Gurneet Singh Sawhney, the following are the risks or complications associated with spinal fusion:
- Blood clots
- Improper wound healing
- Allergic reactions to anesthesia
- Stroke or heart attack during the surgery
- Blood loss or bleeding
Some rare complications include:
- Spinal nerve getting damaged and causing issues like pain and weakness
- Blood clotting in the legs could threaten your life if it travels to your lungs
- Continuous pain at the bone graft site
- Treated vertebrae or the wound getting infected
You should contact your doctor if you see the following symptoms:
- If your ankle, calf, or foot starts swelling suddenly
- Calf pain
- Groin pain
- Shortness breath
- Swelling or redness around the surgery wound
- Blood or pus coming out of the wound
- Shaking chills
- You need to stay at the hospital for 3 to 4 days to recover after the surgery. Your doctor will determine when to discharge you from the hospital.
- Because your flexibility will be limited, you will receive some instructions about how to move and the moving limitations.
- You might need to grasp new techniques for walking, seating, and standing. You might be unable to consume a regular diet for some time.
- After leaving the hospital, you might need to wear a brace for keeping your spine in a good alignment.
- You may be unable to continue routine activities till your body fuses the bone back into place. It might take 6 weeks or more.
- Your doctor could prescribe physical therapy for strengthening your back and learning safe movement techniques.
- It will take 3 to 6 months to recover after spinal fusion fully. Your overall health, physical condition, and age influence how quickly you recuperate and go back to your normal activities.
Success Rate of Spinal Fusion
It is infrequent to have a 100% success rate in spinal fusion. The usual success rate of spinal fusion is 70% to 90%.
Spinal fusion is used in various complaints of back pain. It is necessary to find out the cause and work on it. For that, you need an excellent doctor, and you can visit one of the best spine surgeons in Thane, Dr. Gurneet Singh Sawhney. He can help you with your spine-related issues.