People ignore their physical health and remain on the same diet that may be breeding health-related problems. Individuals who exhibit the symptoms of acid regurgitation should consult a nutritionist. A nutritionist can help eliminate the food items that may help ease the symptoms.
What is Gastroesophageal reflux disease?
It is a chronic condition in which the content present in the stomach refluxes back into the mouth through the tube known as the esophagus. It is commonly known as acid regurgitation. Individuals above fifty are more likely to suffer from this condition, and if the symptoms are observed twice a day, it might indicate that the person is suffering from GERD.
What are the symptoms of Gastroesophageal reflux disease?
The symptoms of Gastroesophageal reflux disease include:
- Heartburn: It is also known as acid indigestion, in which the person feels burning chest pain. It starts from the back and moves to the throat and mouth.
- Dysphagia: The person struggles to swallow the food.
- Cough: Persistent dry cough and sore throat indicate that the person might be suffering from this condition.
- Acid Reflux: The person has a bitter or sour taste. and the liquid refluxes back in the mouth through the esophagus
- Breathing Problems: In severe cases, the person may find it difficult to breathe.
What tests help in the diagnosis of Gastroesophageal reflux disease?
- The tests that help in diagnosis are:
- Endoscopy for examining the inner part of the mouth esophagus, and stomach
- X-ray of the upper part of the digestive system to rule out the possibilities of other illnesses.
- An acid perfusion test is done to know the reason for chest pain.
- Esophagus motility test to examine the movement measurement and the pressure inside of the esophagus.
What are effective treatments for Gastroesophageal reflux disease?
The treatments that help to manage the symptoms and provide instant relief include:
- Antacids: Antacids help neutralize the stomach acids, which provide instant relief to the patient.
- H-2 Receptor Blockers: They do not give immediate relief. The production of acid in the stomach decreases, and the person feels normal for up to 14 hours.
- Surgical Options: The other options with long-term relief include Linux surgery and Nissen fundoplication.
What lifestyle changes help the person lead a better life?
The food items proven beneficial are:
- Vegetables: The use of vegetables helps in reducing stomach acid.
- Ginger: It has anti-inflammatory properties that help minimize heartburn.
- Oatmeal: Oatmeal is enriched in fiber, which helps in lessening the chances of acid reflux
- Fruits: Non-citric fruits are less likely to act as a trigger.
- Seafood: Seafood and chicken are proven to reduce the symptoms of acid reflux.
- Egg whites: Using egg white in breakfast is beneficial as it has less fat compared to egg yolk.
- The food items that should be avoided include:
- Fatty and Spicy Food: Fried and oily food such as fries, can increase the chances of acid reflux.
- Citric Fruits: Citric fruits and tomatoes can worsen the symptoms and cause unease.
- People with this condition should maintain a healthy weight
- Patients should use antacids with prescriptions to ease the symptoms
- Stop smoking and avoid alcohol.
- Patients should not be sleeping right after dinner.
- Patients should use pillows to avoid reflux.
- Individuals with this condition should get into the habit of slow eating.
Living with this condition can be difficult. Most people can easily manage their symptoms by making dietary changes in their lifestyle. Individuals who are unable to, identify their triggers and want to manage their symptoms without taking medications or opting for surgery should consult a dietician in Islamabad. Consulting a nutritionist can be beneficial for living a healthier life.