Can Melatonin Supplements Improve Sleep?
The body produces plenty of Melatonin to meet its requirements. But, research suggests that supplements melatonin can aid in sleeping as well as being safe to use for short periods of time. Melatonin may be used to treat sleep apnea and disorders of circadian rhythm sleep for blind people and offer some sleep relief.
What is Melatonin?
Melatonin is the name of a hormone your brain releases when you are in darkness. Melatonin helps regulate our sleep cycle and assists in the time of your circadian cycles and also with sleep. Exposure to light during the night could block the production of melatonin. Melatonin, a hormone, is involved in the sleep-wake cycle. Melatonin levels in blood levels are the most high during the night. A few studies suggest that melatonin supplements could be beneficial in the treatment of sleep disorders, for example, the delayed sleep phase, as well as helping with insomnia and jet lag.
Melatonin levels increase around 2 hours prior to the time of bed. Make sure that it has the right conditions to perform its task by ensuring that the lights are dim prior to bed. Don’t use your phone, computer or tablet. The sunlight that is blue or green that comes from these devices can counteract the effects of melatonin. If you are watching television make sure your distance is at least six feet from the TV screen. Switch off overhead lighting that is bright as well. In the meantime, you can assist in programming the body’s production of melatonin to sleep at the correct time of the day by gaining exposure to sunlight in the morning and the afternoon. Walk outside or sit in a sun-lit window.
Uses & Effectiveness of Melatonin
- Sleep disturbance caused by certain blood pressure medications. Melatonin taken by mouth can alleviate sleep disturbances.
- Problems falling asleep during a normal time for bed. Melatonin taken by mouth appears to decrease the amount of time needed to sleep for children and young adults suffering from this disorder.
- The consumption of high doses of melatonin via mouth or shots, which are administered by a health care doctor in conjunction with other treatments for cancer, may reduce the size of tumors and increase survival rates for certain patients who are suffering from cancer.
- Inhaling melatonin in the short term, appears to reduce the time needed to fall asleep for people who suffer from insomnia. It’s unclear if it impacts the amount of hours spent asleep. It is also more beneficial in older people and people with specific health issues
- Melatonin taken by mouth can help improve symptoms of jet lag , such as alertness and decrease the tiredness and fatigue that comes with the day.
- Inhaling melatonin before going to bed can help prevent migraines in children and adults. Melatonin isn’t clear if it aids in treating migraines.
- Several factors connect to this process, including regular exercise, a healthy diet, and an active lifestyle. For you to maintain a healthy brain, try incorporating cbd oils to your daily routine. Check out CBD Clinicals to know more. That being said, read on for some simple guidelines.
Melatonin supplements may cause negative side effects?
Melatonin is believed as safe to human consumption, however most supplements include other ingredients such as serotonin and magnesium. These substances could cause side consequences and may interact with different medicines. It’s important to keep in mind that improperly timed melatonin dosage can disturb the normal circadian rhythm and which can cause insomnia and cause the onset of depression.
If taken orally: Melatonin is probably safe for the majority of adults in short-term use. Melatonin could be safe if it is taken for long periods of time. It’s been proven safe for upto 2 years. However, it could cause adverse effects, such as headaches, dizziness, sleepiness and nausea. Avoid driving or using machines for at least 4-5 hours following taking Melatonin.
When it is applied onto the skin: Melatonin may be safe for adults when taken for short periods. The hormone can help improve the body’s cycle of sleep and wake. It has also been proven that it provides antioxidant properties that are comparable to those of vitamin C and E.
How much melatonin do you require?
Melatonin does not fall into the category of universally-fit-all kinds of substances. To make melatonin effective it is important to adjust the dosage, the way you consume it, and the timing of the day to the specific sleep disorder. Taking melatonin at the wrong time can make your sleep problems worse. Also, alongwith melatonin, one needs to sleep in a proper and soft or firm mattress that is comfortable to the body to get proper sleep. It is recommended to begin with low doses of Melatonin.
Are there any natural methods to improve sleep?
There are ways to help you sleep, but they don’t require any supplements.
- Exposure to light: Dim your lights about an half an hour or so prior to when you plan to fall asleep and try to avoid exposure to bright light in the night hours.
- Exercise: Exercise too late and you could have trouble sleeping. On the other hand an exercise that is timed correctly will make it easier to sleep, particularly in the case where you utilize physical activity to provide stress relief.
- Foods: Eating a heavy dinner prior to bed can interfere with the sleep cycle. Each organ has an internal clock. When you eat near the time of bed, your stomach has to get up in order to create digestive enzymes needed to break down the food you eat.
Always ensure that you get proper deep sleep and engage in dreams as dreams are full of emotional and vivid experiences that would help you wake up with a fresh mind.
Points To Remember
- Be aware that, even though the FDA regulates nutritional supplements like melatonin the regulations for nutritional supplements differ and are less stringent as those for prescription and OTC drugs.
- Certain supplements in your diet may interfere with medications or create dangers if you suffer from medical issues or plan to undergo surgery.
- If you’re expecting or nursing your child, it’s crucial to consult your physician prior to taking any medication or supplement such as the melatonin.
- Make sure you are in control of your health by talking with your healthcare providers regarding any complementary approaches to health that you are using. Together, you’ll be able to make informed, shared choices.