8 Signs of Excessive Sugar Consumption
Almost no people in the world who don’t like sweets. After all, since childhood, we associate sweets with joy and pleasure. They contribute to the production of endorphins – hormones of happiness.
Why Is There a Sweet Tooth?
Carbs give us energy, and proteins and fats give us satiety. The final product of breakdown of carbohydrates in the body is glucose, when it isn’t spent completely, it is deposited in the liver and muscles in the form of glycogen or in the form of subcutaneous fat. The division of carbohydrates into fast and slow is related to their glycemic index, which shows how quickly they are digested by the body. The faster, the higher the index. The lower the index, the healthier the product.
Fast carbs are easy to break down and digest, they dissolve in water and taste sweet.
- Glucose and fructose (honey, fruits, vegetables).
- Galactose and lactose (in dairy products).
- Maltose (beer).
- Sucrose (cane and beet sugar).
Slow carbs are broken down to glucose gradually, the body receives equal portions of energy when digesting them, so the person doesn’t feel hungry for a long time. But with fast carbs, the sugar level rises sharply at first, and then also falls sharply, and the person feels a loss of energy and sleepiness, and cannot even enjoy betting at the 22Bet best sportsbook in Canada. Scientists estimate that it takes half an hour to fall asleep.
Signs That There Is Much Sugar in the Diet
- Fatigue, lack of energy. After an increase in glucose levels, the neuropeptide orexin, which controls the sleep-wake cycle, is disrupted. The more one sleeps, the better one gets a good night’s sleep, the less one craves for sweets during the day.
- A regular excess of carbs leads to early aging of the skin by damaging the skin’s main protein, collagen, because its repair is blocked. It provokes inflammatory processes in the skin – acne appears. It also affects the skin from the inside, since sugars are malnutrition, it causes its dryness and thinning, there is a dull complexion.
- Deposition of subcutaneous and visceral fat due to an excess of easily digestible carbohydrates leads to obesity. There is an increased load on the pancreas, which increases the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Weakening of the immune system. The body is weaker to fight viruses and bacteria, and as a consequence, frequent colds.
- Constant craving for sweets. Sweets give a brief burst of energy, it’s addictive. At such moments, you should try to focus your attention on something and distract yourself.
- Anxiety and stress. Excessive sweetness also affects the adrenal glands, where the stress hormone cortisol is formed. When glucose levels are low, cortisol is produced to raise it again. Regular exercise and a balanced diet can help reduce stress levels.
- Dental problems. Of course, genetics and proper oral hygiene play a major role, but sugar also plays a role in the occurrence of tooth decay, as it lowers the PH level of saliva and provides food for the bacteria that live in the mouth, in dental plaque, which actively reproduce from it. After all, they are the ones who release the acids that cause the destruction of the hard tissues of the tooth and the development of tooth decay.
- Digestive disorders. Because of the excess fast carbohydrates begins fermentation in the intestines, making it difficult to absorb B vitamins.
How to Give up Sugar
To begin with, you need to eliminate fast sugars from your diet:
- Carbonated drinks.
- Packaged juices.
- Freshly baked goods.
- Fast food.
- Ice cream.
Also, try to drink tea and coffee without sugar.
Replace sweet snacks with nuts, dried fruits, fresh berries, and bitter chocolate.
Add to your diet more foods containing vitamin C. Scientists have found that often the desire to eat something sweet arises with a deficit of this element.
It would be difficult to give up sugar at once. That is why you should gradually reduce its amount in your menu. The first three weeks after giving up will be the most difficult. Then the dependence decreases, and the desire for candy almost disappears.